QLD State Networking Zoom, May 19, 2020
With none of us expecting 2020 to be the wild and unpredictable ride that the past few months have been, the QLD NAWO committee virtually gathered those local and interstate for a short, but powerful session with energising Simon Cook, Director at Springfox, coach and resilience expert.
We paused and focused on ourselves for an hour as Simon shared practical tips and tools for managing our mindset to enable us to realign our goals and harness motivation to make sure that 2020 doesn’t have to be lost time, before breaking into morrock casino smaller groups to share our challenges and get ideas or tips from others in the NAWO network.
Some takeaways from Simon included:
- When faced with adversity it’s important to reframe it into a challenge so that it’s not oppressive and the challenge becomes an opportunity to learn and grow.
- Connection is a core part of the human spirit. During the COVID-19 pandemic we need to connect differently, and the coffee and chat has turned to zoom, teams or skype.
- External forces such as the COVID-19 Pandemic and work challenges are things that happen ‘to’ us, but there are many things we can invest in to help make external forces easier to manage, including our mindset on the situation.
- Sleep is your ‘super power’, prioritise this where you can. Put a notebook beside your bed and jot down anything on your mind so you can let it go until tomorrow.
- It’s okay if you get to the end of the day and wonder what you accomplished. You are still moving forward, even if you don’t realise it – other days you will accomplish more than you realised you could.
- If you are at the bottom of the spiral, acknowledge it, reach out for help, it’s okay to admit that it’s too much at the moment.
- Make good thinking style choices, try not to ruminate on issues as you can’t make progress. Make peace with the situation we are in and morn for what you have lost, but make peace and focus on taking positive action, no matter how big or small.
- Structure your day, set boundaries. Use the normal commute time for something like mindful exercises so you can maintain balance.
- Be kind to yourself and others.
And lastly, remember there are still 7 months left in the year. There is plenty of time this year to progress your goals, whatever they are.
Read more about the unanswered questions here.